Friday 2 January 2015

Day Two

I decided to take a walk around yesterday and look for something to photograph for today.  I was struck by the number of lanes and alleys there are in my part of the Glebe.

I live in the south end of the 'hood and some of the streets meander (kinda like this post) - departing from the street and avenue grid of the more central part.

The Glebe is bordered on the East and the South by the Rideau Canal.  I'm not going to recite the history of the Canal because I'm sure there are many histories available that would do a better job than I would.  I mention it because on the southern part, just past the Bank Street Bridge, there is a small body of water known as Brown's Inlet that is fed by the canal.  In the summer, the inlet is home to many different species of birds and other animals (which I'm sure I will be sharing here in due course) and in the winter there are some skating surfaces (which I will cover in greater depth on another day).  I was thinking the rinks might be a good photo for today but, as I walked around, I kept noticing the lanes.  Then, as I circled Brown's Inlet, I discovered a walkway that I had never noticed before.  Running between Ralph Street and Wilton Crescent on the North side of Brown's Inlet, the walkway passes the front of several nice older houses.  I've lived in the Glebe most of my life and have never noticed this path before.

So today's photo is of this newly discovered lane.

Cheers,

-John


3 comments: